The purpose of the Manuals is to acquaint you with the School's procedures and requirements so that you can succeed in your studies. Consult the School's web site and your email for updates.
- Undergraduate Field Learning Manual (PDF)
- MSW Student Manual (PDF) (includes Field Learning materials)
- Fields of Practice and Focused Learning Opportunities (PDF)
- Field Placement Process & Timeline Advanced Concentration Year (PDF)
- Checklist Field Placement Process Advanced Concentration Year (PDF)
- Informational Meetings - Focused Learning Opportunities and Fields of Practice (PDF)
Student Field Placement Web Forms
Login with your University ‘Albert’ NetID and Password: Field Placement Web Forms
Your information on ‘Albert’ such as program, address, and contact information appears on the web forms and cannot be modified on the form. If required, please modify your information on ‘Albert’. These updates will automatically update our Field Learning database. For assistance please call the Office of Field Learning and Community Partnerships at (212) 998-5920.
Employment based field learning applications and guidelines:
- Extended One Year Residence (OYR) / 900 Hours Application (PDF)
- Extended One Year Residence (OYR) Guidelines (PDF
- Employment based (Non-OYR) / 600 Hours Application (PDF)
- Employment based (Non-OYR) Guidelines (PDF)
Student Evaluation Forms
The assessment of students in field is based upon the CSWE Core Competencies. The field instructor, in collaboration with the student, works to evaluate the student’s progress over the course of the year.
Initial Educational Statement
The Initial Educational Statement should be completed by the field instructor and student collaboratively. Part I, the Orientation and Field Instruction Plan, should be completed within the first two weeks of placement. Part II provides a baseline assessment of the student’s skill level, establishes the learning plan for the remainder of the semester, and provides an initial indication of the grade level of the student’s performance in the early stages of placement. Part II should be completed in the 7th week of field placement.
- Undergraduate Senior Initial Educational Statement (PDF)
- Professional Foundation Initial Educational Statement (PDF)
- Advanced Concentration Initial Educational Statement (PDF)
- Advanced Concentration Initial Educational Statement / Micro Macro Practice (PDF)
The Mid-Year Evaluation is completed at the end of the first semester of either the foundation year or the advanced concentration year and after the student has finished the 300 hours required for field instruction. The field instructor completes the evaluation in collaboration with the student, and the evaluation signed by both. The faculty advisor reviews the evaluation as a major component of assigning a grade for Field Instruction. (The faculty advisor will not be able to give a grade without a completed evaluation).
This evaluation is completed at the end of the second semester of either the foundation or advanced concentration placement, after the student has finished the additional 300 hours required for Field Instruction (and a total of 600 hours for each of the foundation and advanced concentration placements). The field instructor completes the evaluation in collaboration with the student, and the evaluation signed by both. The faculty advisor reviews the Final Evaluation as a major component of the process of assigning a grade for Field Instruction II or IV. (The faculty advisor will not be able to give a grade without a completed evaluation.)
- Undergraduate Junior Final Evaluation (PDF) (After completion of 100 hours)
Form Instructions: Save a copy of the PDF form(s) to your computer prior to completing the evaluation form. The field instructor and student should both sign the evaluation form. The evaluation can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or and faxed to (212) 995-4533. Evaluations can also be hand delivered or mailed to:
NYU Silver School of Social Work
Office of Field Learning & Community Partnerships
One Washington Square North
New York, NY 10003
For assistance please call the Office of Field Learning & Community Partnerships at (212) 998-5920.