As part of NYU's Global Network University, students have several opportunities to participate in study abroad courses. Through immersion in local cultures and societies, students are able to experience social work as a global profession. Silver Faculty and Field instructors developed each program to examine social policy and practice, framed by the location’s social, political, and economic issues to give students a deeper understanding of diverse cultures.
Study Abroad Courses
Through an international lens, students can focus on:
- Advanced clinical theory
- Community engagement
- Health and social welfare issues
- Social justice and social movement
- Global mental health
- Substance Abuse
Through the global experience, students are encouraged to reflect on social conditions and the multicultural values, ethics, ideologies, and approaches required for social work practice.
Passport and Visa Information
Passports needed for Silver courses outside the US
All students seriously interested in participating in a global program outside the US should have or acquire a valid passport.
In some cases, international students will need a visa to travel to one of our program locations.
If you have questions about passports or visas, please contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) early, as both of these processes can take some time.
Passport Drive for US Citizens
- When: October 19, 2018, 10AM-2PM EST
- Where: 383 Lafayette Street
Need to apply for or renew a US passport for international travel? The Office of Global Services (OGS) is hosting a convenient Passport Drive for US citizens at NYU. Don’t miss the chance to easily apply for or renew your passport!
Representatives from the US Department of State will be collecting applications from US citizens for first time passports, passport renewals and passport cards. Learn more about passports at the website travel.state.gov.
Study Abroad Course Scholarships
January 2019 Courses
- Buenos Aires Scholarship Application: Application closed.
- Puebla Scholarship Application: Application closed.
- Tel Aviv Scholarship Application: Application closed.
Summer 2019 Courses
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Core Concepts in Child and Adolescent Trauma - Application closed
- Puebla, Mexico: Migration and the Trump Wall: Health and Social Welfare Issues of Latino Migrants - Application open
- Tel Aviv, Israel: Assessment and Treatment of Children of Substance Misusing Parents - Application closed
Spring Break 2019
- Washington, D.C.: Advanced Social Policy: Social Work and Legislative Advocacy - Application closed
Opportunities for Alumni and Other Social Work Professionals
We invite applications to participate in study abroad courses on a selected basis. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Ben Sher, Director, Office of Global and Lifelong Learning.
If you've read the Study Abroad Course FAQ, where we cover a number of frequently asked questions from students about these programs, and still have questions, please reach out to Stephanie Kaplan, Assistant Director, Office of Global and Lifelong Learning, for assistance.
Contact Email: email@example.com