This certificate provides a comprehensive spectrum of courses for clinicians interested in expanding and deepening their understanding of work with children ages pre-school through latency. In addition to play therapy, the curriculum includes courses in child development, attachment, parenting, diagnosis of disorders of childhood, and child-focused family interventions. This course utilizes a focus on practice with children and families in a range of settings, including treatment strategies for children who have been traumatized, as well as those seen in schools and family service agencies.
Child and Family Therapy
From the Director: Interview with Judith Siegel, PhD, LCSW
This certificate requires the completion of two semesters over one year. 27 two-and-one-half (2.5) hour sessions will be held over the course of the year. Assignments include weekly readings and a final learning assessment in the form of a project or test.
There are two sections offered. Students must choose one section: Monday evening (6:00 pm to 8:30 pm) or Friday morning (9:15 am to 11:45 am). See the Program Calendar below for details.
Play Therapy Hours
Association for Play Therapy (APT Approved Provider 09-244): 36 contact hours
- Focus on child development from infancy to age 12
- Focus on disorders associated with trauma
- Explore influence of family dynamics on child behavior
- Assessing parenting skills
- Play therapy: pre-school through preadolescent children
- Play therapy with traumatized children
Continuing Education Contact Hours
- 67.5 NYSED-approved Contact Hours will be awarded for this program.
This organization (NYU Silver School of Social Work, 1415) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. NYU Silver School of Social Work maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 11/11/16 - 11/11/19. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits.
2016-17 Program Calendar
To apply for this program, please click on the application link below.
You will be taken to a new page and prompted to set up an application account. Once you create an application account, you will be able to begin an application for one of our certificate programs. Make sure to select the application for "Child and Family Therapy" from the list of available applications.
NOTE: If you have an NYU email address, you should not use this email address when creating the application account.
UPDATE: Applications for the 2016-2017 program are now closed. Please check back in spring of 2017 for next year's application.
Special Accommodations & Grievance Policy
Students requiring accommodations have the opportunity to make these known upon registering or by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on our Grievance Policy, please click here. If you have questions or concerns contact (212) 998-9099.
2016-17 Certificate Programs
- Advanced Assessment and Diagnosis
- Advanced Clinical Practice
- Clinical Approaches to the Addictions
- Clinical Practice with Adolescents
- Child and Family Therapy
- Executive Leadership in the Not-for-Profit Sector
- Integrated Primary and Behavioral Health
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care
- Spirituality and Social Work
- Clinical Supervision
- Dr. Beatrice Kraemer, Clinical Psychologist, President and Founder of Parenting At Its Best