This specialized one-year certificate program is designed to provide a comprehensive foundation in treatment of children within a family context. Participants will gain skills in understanding and working with pre-adolescent children using a range of interventions such as play therapy, age-specific therapeutic games, and art activities. At the same time, students will learn to comprehend and work with the family dynamics that frequently underlie or exacerbate a child's distress.
Child and Family Therapy
From the Director
“This certificate provides a comprehensive spectrum of courses for clinicians interested in expanding and deepening their understanding of work with children ages pre-school through latency. In addition to play therapy, the curriculum includes courses in child development, attachment, parenting, diagnosis of disorders of childhood, and child-focused family interventions. This course utilizes a focus on practice with children and families in a range of settings, including treatment strategies for children who have been traumatized, as well as those seen in schools and family service agencies.”
-Judith Siegel, PhD, LCSW, Director
This certificate requires the completion of two semesters over one year. 27 two-and-one-half (2.5) hour sessions will be held over the course of the year. Assignments include weekly readings and a final learning assessment in the form of a project or test.
There are two sections offered. Students must choose one section: Monday evening (6:00 pm to 8:30 pm) or Friday morning (9:15 am to 11:45 am). See the Program Calendar below for details.
Play Therapy Hours
Association of Play Therapy (APT Provider 09-244) approved hours: 36
- Focus on child development from infancy to age 12
- Focus on disorders associated with trauma
- Explore influence of family dynamics on child behavior
- Assessing parenting skills
- Play therapy: pre-school through preadolescent children
- Play therapy with traumatized children
Continuing Education Units
67.5 CEUs will be awarded for this program.
2014-15 Program Calendar
Complete an online application for this program. Applicants must choose between either the Friday morning or Monday evening sections. Click on one of the links below, based on your choice of section:
- Application: Monday evening section (6:00pm-8:30pm) - The Monday section is now full. New applicants will be placed on a wait list for review, pending space.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: AUGUST 22, 2014
2014-15 Certificate Programs
- Dr. Beatrice Kraemer, Clinical Psychologist, President and Founder of Parenting At Its Best