This certificate provides a comprehensive spectrum of courses for clinicians interested in expanding and deepening their understanding of work with children ages pre-school through latency. In addition to play therapy, the curriculum includes courses in child development, attachment, parenting, diagnosis of disorders of childhood, and child-focused family interventions. This course utilizes a focus on practice with children and families in a range of settings, including treatment strategies for children who have been traumatized, as well as those seen in schools and family service agencies.
Child and Family Therapy
From the Director: Interview with Judith Siegel, PhD, LCSW
This certificate requires the completion of two semesters over one year. 27 two-and-one-half (2.5) hour sessions will be held over the course of the year. Assignments include weekly readings and a final learning assessment in the form of a project or test.
There are two sections offered. Students must choose one section: Monday evening (6:00 pm to 8:30 pm) or Friday morning (9:15 am to 11:45 am). See the Program Calendar below for details.
Play Therapy Hours
Association of Play Therapy (APT Provider 09-244) approved hours: 36
- Focus on child development from infancy to age 12
- Focus on disorders associated with trauma
- Explore influence of family dynamics on child behavior
- Assessing parenting skills
- Play therapy: pre-school through preadolescent children
- Play therapy with traumatized children
Continuing Education Contact Hours
- 35 NASW-approved CEUs will be awarded for this program for the Fall 2014.
- 32.5 NYSED-approved Contact Hours will be awarded for this program for the Spring 2015.
2014-15 Program Calendar
Admissions for this program is closed for the 2014-15 program year. We will begin accepting new applications for 2015-16 in May 2015.
2014-15 Certificate Programs
- Dr. Beatrice Kraemer, Clinical Psychologist, President and Founder of Parenting At Its Best