This program provides an integrated sequence of courses to promote the interaction of theory and practice. The program will also enhance clinical practice knowledge; expand assessment and clinical intervention skills; examine assessment and treatment needs of patients and their families; use a biopsychosocial-spiritual framework; provide opportunities to develop leadership skills; and explore the dilemmas in "caring" rather than "curing."
Palliative and End-of-Life Care
From the Director
"The Post-Master’s Certificate Program in Palliative and End-of-Life Care is based on the belief that the people with whom we are privileged to work are the experts. Our approach to teaching echoes that collaborative belief, with faculty moving fluidly between the positions of ‘expert’ and ‘co-learner.’ We are committed to creating a safe and respectful environment that acknowledges the role of practice wisdom and validates emotion and spirituality in the learning process."
-Susan Gerbino, PhD, LCSW
This certificate is comprised of four individual modules, two of which are offered each semester. All four modules are required to complete the certificate. Each module meets for 20 total hours. The Program Calendar below describes the timetable for each module in detail. Note that 4-hour double class sessions are run in the Fall, and that the Leadership module is divided between two semesters.
Assignments include weekly readings and small assignments.
Note: An MSW and at least 2 years of post-Master's experience in or related to PELC is required to apply to this Program.
Continuing Education Contact Hours
- 80 NYSED-approved contact hours will be awarded for this program for the Spring 2015.
This organization (NYU Silver School of Social Work, 1415) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. NYU Silver School of Social Work maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 11/11/15 - 11/11/16. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in the post-master's course will receive 80 continuing education clock hours.
- Interaction of theory and practice; clinical practice knowledge
- Assessment and clinical intervention skills
- Biopsychosocial-spiritual framework
- Dilemmas in “caring” rather than “curing”
- Module 1: Ethical Issues in Palliative Care/Pain and SymptomManagement: Multidimensional Perspectives
- Module 2: Theories of Attachment, Loss, and Bereavement
- Module 3: Practice Seminar
- Module 4: Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Leadership Development
2016-17 Program Calendar
|Fall Semester (Meeting time: 5:00 pm to 7:50 pm)|
TOPIC: Pain and Symptom Management; Ethics
|Fall Semester (Meeting time: 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm)|
|Fall Semester (Meeting time: 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)*|
|Spring Semester (Meeting time: 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm)|
TOPIC: Practice Seminar
|Spring Semester (Meeting time 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm):|
To apply for this program, please click on the application link below.
You will be taken to a new page and prompted to set up an application account. Once you create an application account, you will be able to begin an application for one of our certificate programs. Make sure to select the application for "Palliative and End-of-Life Care" from the list of available applications.
NOTE: If you have an NYU email address, you should not use this email address when creating the application account.
NOTE: This program requires two references to be submitted in the application.
2016-17 Certificate Programs
- Advanced Assessment and Diagnosis
- Advanced Clinical Practice
- Clinical Approaches to the Addictions
- Clinical Practice with Adolescents
- Child and Family Therapy
- Executive Leadership in the Not-for-Profit Sector
- Integrated Primary and Behavioral Health
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care
- Spirituality and Social Work
- Clinical Supervision
- Nicki Weiss, MSW Pathways to Care program at Westchester Jewish Community Services, Hartsdale, NY