Exploring the Landscape of Palliative Care
Susan Gerbino, PhD, LCSW, Clinical Associate Professor of Social Work; Director, Zelda Foster Studies Program in Palliative and End-of-Life Care, NYU Silver School of Social Work.
Dr. Susan Gerbino is a Clinical Associate Professor and Director of the Zelda Foster Studies Program in Palliative and End of Life Care, NYU Silver School of Social Work. The Zelda Foster Studies Program includes a MSW Fellowship, a Post-Masters Certificate Program for early career social workers and a Leadership Fellowship for mid-career social workers. She has a private practice specializing in work with people living with chronic and life-limiting illness and the bereaved. She was the 2005 NASW-NY State Social Worker of the Year for her mentorship of new social workers and for her work in the wake of September 11.
Social workers in all fields of practice work with clients and families that have been touched by chronic or life-limiting illness. This half-day workshop will define palliative care, outline some of the clinical approaches for working with people touched by illness and describe the clinical rewards and challenges inherent in the work.
- Define palliative care and distinguish it from end-of-life care
- Demonstrate a beginning knowledge of palliative care approaches and interventions
- Identify the inherent clinical challenges – use of self, ethical dilemmas, working with existential and spiritual concerns, dealing with our own fears of illness and dying and managing vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue
- Learn why the work can foster our own personal growth and enrich our lives
THIS PROGRAM IS NOW FULL AND WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS.
Continuing Education Units
3 CEU's will be awarded for this event
Cancellations and Refunds
In the event that after registering, you determine that you can no longer attend this event, The Office of Global and Lifelong Learning offers refunds on the following basis:
- Refund requests made on or before Friday, February 21 (by midnight): full refund
- Refund requests made on or before Thursday, February 27 (by midnight): 50% refund
- Refund requests made on or after Friday, February 28: no refund