Student Common Days
Please note that Common Day is a mandatory event and students are excused from their field internships for the day. Please check the Field Learning calendar for information about when you should attend Common Day.
Sample Common Day Sessions | Fall 2018
- Acceptance Commitment Therapy and the Matrix
- Clinical Support: Fundamentals That Shape Your Future In The Field
- How Losing 150 Pounds Taught Me About Mental Health
- Helping Couples Connect: From Conflict to Compassion
- Advocating for New York City's Children
- Transformational Chairwork: Using Psychotherapeutic Dialogues in Clinical Practice
- Palliative Care
- Working With Justice Involved Clients
- Navigate the Changing Landscape of Behavioral Health with Less Stress, Trauma and Burnout
- Trauma Informed Care
- Helping Parents Advocate and Navigate Systems
- Chronicles of the Emergency Room
- Social Work In The Healthcare Setting
- How To Teach Sex Positive Sex Ed For Adolescents
- Human Trafficking Policies & Advocacy
- Starting A Youth & Adolescent Program
- Principles of Stress Management/Self-Care
- Restorative Justice
- Social Workers Against Solitary Confinement: Undoing Racism in the Criminal Justice System
- Social Work: Next Steps to Know for Clinical Practice
- Career Opportunities in Behavioral Health
- Power Dynamics & Organizational Culture
- Grad Level Salary Negotiation
- The Social Determinants of Health & Macro Level Policy
- "Isn't All Social Work Social Justice?" Channeling Alice Paul
- Alumni Panel (Non-Clinical Career Pathways)
- Alumni Panel (The Road to Private Practice)
- Social Work Abroad
- Licensing Exam Preparation
- Social Service vs. Social Change: Macro-Level Thinking for Micro-Level Problems
Where will Common Day be held?
Kimmel Center (60 Washington Square South)
Is Common Day mandatory?
Yes-- Common Day is mandatory for all 1st Year/Generalist Practice students. Field Supervisors have all been notified of Common Day and your mandatory attendance. Please remind your supervisors that you will be at Common Day and not at your field placements.
Are Monday classes cancelled?
No, Monday classes are not cancelled. However, our day is projected to end at 4:00 so that students can make it to their Monday classes on time.
What if I cannot attend Common Day?
Please notify your Faculty Advisor if you are unable to attend Common Day for any reason.
Will there be food?
Yes--a light breakfast will be provided as well as lunch vouchers for NYU dining halls. Here is the link for information on the different locations on campus.
I didn't complete the breakout session survey. Can I still sign up for a breakout session?
You will receive a program for the day outlining all of the sessions and their descriptions. Students can choose to attend any session they are interested in. However, space is limited so be sure to arrive early to your preferred breakout session to guarantee a seat!
What is Common Day?
Common Day is a student-organized conference designed to explore a wide variety of professional interests and career development issues. The Graduate Student Association leads the event with the help of NYU Silver student groups, the office of Field Learning and Community Partnerships, and Student Affairs.