The Graduate Student Association and the Office of Student Affairs at the Silver School of Social Work invite continuing MSW students to join the Student Leadership Council. The mission of the council is to provide pathways to student leadership and open the doors to the many professional, academic, and personal benefits those opportunities create.
Student Leadership Council
All applicants for the Student Leadership Council must be available for a full day training on Monday, August 27th before orientation and for New Student Orientation from Wednesday, August 29th and Thursday, August 30th.
In addition to orientation, members must:
- Volunteer for at least one professional development event per semester or attend 2 professional development events per semester.
- Complete a 30 minute one on one session with a Wasserman Center for Career Development representative in the Fall semester, focused on resume and professional trajectory.
Fall 2018 New Student Orientation:
Monday, August 27th - SLC training
Wednesday, August 29th and Thursday, August 30th - MSW New Student Orientation
The training and first day of orientation will take place at the Washington Square Campus. The second day of orientation will take place on each campus branch. Students from all campuses are highly encouraged to apply. **PLEASE NOTE** You will be required to upload the most recent version of your resume.
Throughout the year, members of the Student Leadership Council will have the opportunity to participate in other activities as their schedules allow. Opportunities will be available for students in all programs and at all campuses. Some examples of these opportunities are:
- Informally advising and mentoring first year MSW students
- Serving as a writing fellow
- Facilitating at social justice and diversity events
- Mentoring new international students
- Leading and planning social outings
- Joining curricular or other school-wide committees
- Moderating alumni career panels
- Attending special networking events, like the Dean's Luncheon at Alumni Day
- Working with the GSA on major events like Common Day, the Silver Ball, and the graduation party
- And much more!
Note: There is a separate opportunity to apply for a SLC Fellow position. SLC Fellows will manage a small group of SLC and actively engage in professional development opportunities throughout the academic year with Silver students. Please note, SLC Fellows will be required to attend a half day training on Tuesday, August 28th.
Benefits & Perks
Aside from the professional and personal benefits of taking on leadership roles in the school, students will have access to leadership development opportunities and priority access to community events.
SLC will benefit from the following:
- Receive training by Dr. Mara Gottlieb to facilitate Social Justice & Empathy session
- NYU Silver swag (including student leader shirt)
- Listed as Student Leadership Council/Fellow in Convocation program if graduating
- Presented with a certificate of completion
In addition to the above, SLC Fellows will:
- Receive additional training and support as facilitators
- Receive an additional recognition in the convocation program
ROCKLAND & WESTCHESTER STUDENTS
Rockland and Westchester students who are chosen to be on the Student Leadership Council will be reimbursed for their travel expenses to and from training and the first day of orientation. Students will receive additional training on campus-specific orientation.