The Graduate Student Association and the office of Student Affairs at the Silver School of Social Work invite current MSW students to join the Student Leadership Council. The mission of the council is to provide multiple, flexible pathways to student leadership and open the doors to the many professional, academic, and personal benefits those opportunities create.
Student Leadership Council
All applicants for the Student Leadership Council must be available for a full day training on Monday, August 29th before orientation and for New Student Orientation from Wednesday, August 31st and Thursday, September 1st. Meals and thank-you gifts will be provided.
Throughout the year, members of the Student Leadership Council will have the opportunity to participate in other activities as their schedules allow. Opportunities will be available for students in all programs and at all campuses. Some examples of these opportunities are:
- Informally advising and mentoring first year MSW students
- Facilitating social justice workshops
- Mentoring new international students
- Joining curricular or other school-wide committees
- Moderating career panels
- Attending special networking events, like the Dean's Luncheon at Alumni Day
- Working with the GSA on major events like Common Days, the Silver Ball, and the graduation party
- And much more!
Aside from the professional and personal benefits of taking on leadership roles in the school, students will receive a small thank-you gift for each additional opportunity in which they participate. Gifts may take the form of gift cards, NYU Silver merchandise, and other fun things.