As part of NYU's Global Network University, students have several opportunities to participate in global learning programs. Through immersion in local cultures and societies, students are able to experience social work as a global profession. Silver Faculty and Field instructors developed each program to examine social policy and practice, framed by the location’s social, political, and economic issues to give students a deeper understanding of diverse cultures.
Through an international lens, students can focus on:
- Advanced clinical theory
- Community engagement
- Health and social welfare issues
- Social justice and social movement
- Global mental health
- Substance Abuse
Several study abroad options allow for language immersion and residing with local families. Through the global experience, students are encouraged to reflect on social conditions and the multicultural values, ethics, ideologies, and approaches required for social work practice.
Passport and Visa Information
Passport Drive for US Citizens
Check back for the Spring 2018 Passport Drive date
383 Lafayette Street
Need to apply for or renew a US passport for international travel? The Office of Global Services (OGS) is hosting a convenient Passport Drive for US citizens at NYU. Don’t miss the chance to easily apply for or renew your passport!
Representatives from the US Department of State will be collecting applications from US citizens for first time passports, passport renewals and passport cards. Learn more about passports at travel.state.gov.
Find more information here.
Questions? Contact OGS at email@example.com or 212-998-4242.
Global Program Scholarships
Programs with scholarships
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Paris, France
- Puebla, Mexico - The application for this scholarship is now closed
- Tel Aviv, Israel - The application for this scholarship is now closed
Please see individual program pages for scholarship applications.
- Puebla, Mexico: Complex Health and Social Welfare Issues: The Case of Unaccompanied Minors in the US - Application now available
- Tel Aviv, Israel: Assessment and Treatment of Children of Substance Misusing Parents - We are no longer accepting applications for this program
- Buenos Aires, Argentina: Core Concepts in Child and Adolescent Trauma - Application now available
- Glasgow, Scotland: Comparative Mental Health Policy and Practice in the United Kingdom and the United States. - Application coming soon
- New York City, USA: Where Do You Come From? Discourses of (Im-) Migration in Germany and the USA (combined summer program with Social Work students from Germany) - Application now available
- Paris, France: Practice with Families: Comparative Approaches - Application now available
Opportunities for Undergraduates
Undergraduate students can enroll in some of the global programs housed at the Silver School—Costa Rica; Washington, DC; and Paris—and have additional options available in Ghana and Buenos Aires.
Opportunities for Alumni and Other Social Work Professionals
We invite applications to participate in global learning courses on a selected basis. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Ben Sher, Director, Office of Global and Lifelong Learning.