General Admission Standards
The general requirements for admission to our master’s program are:
A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants should have a broad liberal arts background that includes study in the social, behavioral, and biological sciences with a minimum of 60 liberal arts credits. Course work relating to diverse cultures, social conditions, and social problems is favorably considered. Academic credit is not given for life experience in lieu of field education or course requirements. The GRE is NOT required.
- A strong academic record and demonstrated intellectual capacity for graduate education.
- An ability to think logically and conceptually and to formulate mature judgments.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the field and evidence of a commitment to social work as a profession.
- Evidence of emotional maturity, concern for people, and capacity for self-awareness and personal growth.
- Demonstrated concern and commitment to the values underlying professional social work.
- Values social justice, diversity, and inclusion.
Some of our MSW pathways have further requirements, which can be found on our Pathway-Specific Admissions Standards page.
Indications of motivation and readiness for social work education include related work or volunteer experience and undergraduate or graduate courses in social and behavioral sciences or social work. When these are lacking, weight is given to the applicant's involvement in community activities or participation in organizations committed to humanistic values.
Applicants for the MSW program may complete an application online. We encourage you to submit your application before the deadline date. Our admissions committee, composed of faculty, strives to evaluate complete applications within four to six weeks. Please note that the committee does not evaluate incomplete applications.
Readmission of Intermitted Students
Readmission to any of our MSW pathways is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. At minimum, we reserve the right to require a full application to any of our MSW pathways after an absence of a year or longer for any reason.
Should applicants wish to reapply to the MSW program, we strongly recommend waiting a minimum of one academic year.
Due to COVID-19, We are not holding in-person office hours or campus tours. However, we do want to connect with you, and urge you to sign up for our Virtual Drop-In Hours.
For our Washington Square campus, please schedule an appointment online or email email@example.com.