Show Up With NYU Silver
Information for Prospective MSW Students
Join the fight for social change with the powerful knowledge gained through rigorous coursework and intensive hands-on training. Renowned for our clinical excellence, commitment to social justice, and innovative teaching, which prepare our graduates for careers of meaningful impact, NYU Silver’s comprehensive curriculum provides a strong foundation whether your interest is practice, policy, research, or administration.
2022 Student Profile
Where Students Come From
Student Race and Ethnicity
Student Gender Identity*
Where Students Come from: 69.7% of students are from the tri-state area, 23.3% of students are from outside of the tri-state area, and 7% of students are International.
Student Race and Ethnicity: 11.1% of students are Asian, 7.4% of students are Black, 16.4% of students are Hispanic, 3.2% of students are two or more races, 3.7% of students are unknown, and 58.2% of students are white.
Student Gender Identity: 88.6% of students are female identified, 8.8% of students are man identified, and 2.6% of students are woman identified. Data is based on optional MSW application responses.
MSW Pathways and Dual Degree Options
In the classroom you will learn from outstanding faculty who are some of the best instructors in the profession. Through closely supervised practicum internships you will gain real world, professional experience.
Full Time Pathways:
- Traditional Two-Year (Fall only)
- Shanghai and New York Two-Year (Fall Only)
- Advanced Standing (Fall Only)
- 16-Month Accelerated (Spring Only)*
Part Time Pathways
- Extended (Part-to-full time, fall and spring at Washington Square Campus, fall, spring and summer at Westchester and Rockland Campuses)
- Extended at Shanghai and New York (Fall only)
- Extended One-Year Residence (OYR) (Part-to-full time, fall and spring at Washington Square Campus, fall, spring and summer at Westchester and Rockland Campuses)
- 32-Month for Working Professionals (Fall only)**
Dual Degree Options†:
- MSW/JD with NYU Law
- MSW/MPH with NYU School of Global Public Health
- MSW/EMPA with NYU Wagner School of Public Service
- MSW/ MA in Child Development with Sarah Lawrence College
- ONRAMP (Fall and Spring**)
- Non-Matriculated (Fall and Spring at Washington Square campus; Fall, Spring, and Summer at Westchester and Rockland campuses)
* Not available at Westchester
** Not available at Westchester or Rockland
† Dual degree programs begin in the fall. Please note that each school requires a separate application and you should adhere to each school’s deadline.
Specialized Fields of Practice
Through our expansive range of electives and practicum placement agencies, you are able to concentrate your education on specific aspects of social work. After completing the generalist curriculum, you can select from our rich and diverse offerings to develop specialized knowledge related to your professional interests.
Practicum placements are available across a spectrum of practice areas including:
- Adult Services
- Evolving Justice and Forensic Social Work
- Child, Youth and Family Services
- Mental Health
- Macro Practice in Organizations, Policy, Program Planning & Development
- Substance Abuse and Co-Occurring Disorders
- Palliative & End-of-Life Care
- School-Based Services
Our Core Values
NYU Silver embraces the core values of the social work profession enumerated in the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.
These core values, embraced by social workers throughout the profession’s history, are the foundation of social work’s unique purpose and perspective:
- Social justice
- Dignity and worth of the person
- Importance of human relationships
This constellation of core values reflects what is unique to the social work profession.
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethic’s Ethical Principles is intended to serve as a guide to the everyday professional conduct of social workers.
Study Away Opportunities
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Core Concepts in Childhood and Adolescent Trauma
Del Carmen, Philippines
Women’s Health and Community Well-Being: A Collaborative Ethnography
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Comparative Mental Health Policy & Practice in the United Kingdom and the United States
Advanced Social Policy: Social Work and Legislative Advocacy
Graduate Employment Rates
Source: New York University Wasserman Center for Career Development 2021 Graduate Career Outcomes Survey, which collected post-graduate outcomes information from 70.8% of the NYU Silver Class of 2021.