Admission to the PhD program at the Silver School of Social Work is granted on a highly selective basis and determined by the quality of the overall application.
Requirements for Admission
Requirements for admission to the program include:
- Masters Degree (MSW is preferred) with a graduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher, based on a 4 point scale;
- Bachelor's degree with an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or higher, based on a 4 point scale;
- Competitive scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), particularly in the quantitative reasoning and analytical writing sections;
- Acceptable scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for applicants whose first language is not English or who have not earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is exclusively English;
- A well-written and compelling statement of research interest; and
- Three outstanding recommendations.
Note: While post-MSW practice experience is not a requirement, at least three years of experience is recommended.