New Student Checklist

Access NYU Home & NYU Email

NYUHome is an easy-to-use portal to many web-based services and tools, including resources for e-mail, registering for classes, ALBERT, NYU Classes, web forums, free computer security software, NYU Libraries and more.

Financial Aid

Students who wish to be considered for federal, state or private financial aid, including loans, should complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The NYU  federal school code is 002785. You can learn more about the Silver School's scholarship opportunities on the Financial Aid & Scholarships page.

Class Registration

You can learn how to enroll in classes by viewing how-to guides on Registering for Albert. Consult with Program Administrator for course selection.

Apply for Advance Credit

If you have taken a doctoral-level social work course at NYU or another institution, you may be eligible to receive credit towards the DSW degree. You can apply for a maximum of six advance credits. The following criteria must be met in order for advance credit to be considered:

  • Receive a passing grade or letter grade of B or higher;
  • The course must have been taken within the past five years.

You can apply for Advance Credit if you have completed a comparable doctoral course in social work and the course taken was not used towards receipt of another degree. Advance credit allows you to replace required NYU DSW coursework with coursework taken at another school.
Application Process
Submit the following with your request for advance credit:

  • Official transcript with grades;
  • Syllabus and reading list for each course.

Please submit your request and supporting documents to the DSW Program Administrator. The DSW Faculty Committee requires requests to be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the semester you would take the course for which the advance credit is being sought.

Review Your Bursar Bill

After your financial aid has been awarded, you will receive an electronic bill for the remaining tuition and fees. You can view your bill online.

Take Care of Immunizations

You must submit immunization records to University Health Services or be vaccinated by the beginning of the semester. Learn more.

Confirm Your Health Insurance Forms

Students who wish to change their automatic insurance enrollment must complete the online selection/waiver process via the Student Health Insurance website. Eligible students can waive NYU - sponsored insurance entirely via the Waiver.

Update Local Address and Email

Throughout the year you will receive important communications, including billing statements, department and program updates, deadline information, course updates, and much more. You can update your address on ALBERT, which you access through NYUHome web portal.


An NYU Card serves the following: student identification; your access to NYU buildings; your Campus Cash card; and also may get you a discount at many local businesses. In addition, you will find your student ID number and your NetID on the back of the card. For instructions on how to get a card, visit the NYU Card website.

Submit Your Final Official Transcripts, MAT Scores and GRE Scores (for International Students Only)

If you have not already done so, please have your previous institution(s) send your final, official transcript showing your degree earned and the date it was earned to:

New York University
Silver School of Social Work
Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services
1 Washington Square North
New York, NY 10003-6654

Transcripts can also be emailed to:

Same also applies for official MAT scores. Both are required parts of your file.

Save the Date for Orientation

The DSW New Student Orientation will be held on Monday, August 26, 2019.