PhD Program Application & Deadlines
The application cycle for 2024 will open in late August.
The application requirements for the PhD program consist of:
- Completion of the required forms in the online application.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate work, to be uploaded into the online application portal. If degree work is incomplete at the time of application, applicants should mail transcripts showing the completed work later, followed by a final transcript when all grades and the award of the degree are recorded.
- A current curriculum vitae or résumé.
- Applicants whose first language is not English or who have not earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is not exclusively English must also submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. The School code for these tests is 2506. See below for more details. The program will accept Duolingo English test scores if the applicant received a combined undergraduate and graduate education of four years where the official language of instruction of the institution was English for all course work.
- The online application payment with your credit card, or enclose a non-refundable application fee of $75.00 (USD) in the form of a check or money order made payable to New York University-Social Work.
- The completed application form and all supporting materials for Fall 2024 must be received no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time on December 1, 2023 in order for your application to be considered.
- Applicants should retain a copy of their completed application form and statement of research interest for their records.
Official transcripts and non-electronic application fees should be mailed to:
New York University
Silver School of Social Work
Admissions & Enrollment Services Office
1 Washington Square North
New York, NY 10003-6654
Applicants to the PhD program whose records are not in English must submit their academic records with an official English translation. All applicants with international credentials are required to include a professional evaluation of their degree(s) to determine if they are equivalent to the US bachelor’s degree and master's degree. We accept international credentials evaluated by the companies listed. We do not require the evaluation to be “Course-by-Course” to determine if it is equivalent to the US bachelor’s degree. Applicants with such credentials should file their applications well in advance of the term for which they are applying.
Every applicant whose first language is not English or who has not earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is not exclusively English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). If you are not taking the Internet-based TOEFL, please make sure to also take the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and the Test of Written English (TWE), and to submit scores from all tests. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date. Scores more than two years old are not accepted. Information about this examination may be obtained by writing to TOEFL Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA, by email, or by visiting the TOEFL website. Applicants must request that their examination score be sent to the NYU Silver School of Social Work. The school test code is 2506.