Frequently Asked Questions

There are two graduation ceremonies. The Silver School of Social Work Convocation is for Social Work students only. You will have the opportunity to walk across the stage, accept your mock diploma (letter of congratulations from the dean), and shake hands with the dean.

NYU Commencement is the all-University ceremony where all NYU graduates are recognized (asked to stand) by individual schools within the larger ceremony.

When you accept your degree, a professional photographer will take a formal photo. You will then have the opportunity to review proofs and place an order if you fill out the information card on the back of your graduation ticket.

Please note that guests must remain in their seats throughout the ceremony, though they may briefly stand to take photographs from their seats. No one is permitted in the aisles during the ceremony except graduates on their way to and from the stage. There will be opportunities for personal photos both before and after the ceremony.

In order to participate in the May graduation ceremonies, you must have fulfilled all the requirements for your degree (including incompletes) by May of your graduation year. You may verify your graduation eligibility through Albert, your academic advisor, or the Office of Enrollment Services in Room 102A, (212) 998-5910.

If you have two or fewer courses outstanding as of June of your graduation year and wish to petition for an exception to participate in the Silver School of Social Work Convocation and University Commencement ceremonies, please fill out a Dean's Exception Application, available in the Office of Enrollment Services in Room 102A, (212) 998-5910. For questions regarding the Dean's Exception, please email

May degree candidates must have applied for graduation through Albert to be eligible for both the NYU Commencement and the Silver School of Social Work Convocation. It is each student's responsibility to apply for graduation on Albert. Applying for graduation tells the University Registrar to review the record to determine if all degree requirements have been met and if so, to award a diploma. Applying for graduation is required, however attending the ceremonies is optional.

For more information on how to apply, see the Registrar's website.

Once registered through Albert, you will receive information regarding the Silver School of Social Work Convocation and the University Commencement ceremonies via email.

Please note: Only apply for graduation for the semester that you will complete all of your degree requirements, even if you will participate in graduation ceremonies in a different semester. For example, if you have one course to complete over the summer, you should apply for September graduation.

Dual degree students who will complete their MSW degree requirements before their other degree should not apply for graduation until the semester that both degrees will be completed. Neither degree is conferred until the requirements for both degrees are fulfilled. This means that dual-degree students who complete the requirements for the MSW early won't be able to graduate with their MSW degree until they complete all the requirements for the second degree as well.

Yes, graduates and degree candidates who wish to participate in NYU Commencement and/or the Silver School of Social Work Convocation are required to wear academic attire. To order attire online, consult the Academic Attire section of the NYU Commencement website.

All guests, including infants of any age, will require a ticket to enter the Silver School of Social Work Convocation venue due to New York City occupancy fire code regulations observed by the United Palace Theatre.

Your name on your diploma will appear as it does in official University records. If there is a concern or you would like to request a name change, contact the University Registrar at (212) 998-4260.

Diplomas are mailed to the graduate's permanent addresses by the Office of the University Registrar approximately eight weeks following the date of graduation. For further information regarding diplomas, contact the Office of the University Registrar at (212) 998-4260.

International guests who plan to attend Convocation and Commencement ceremonies may need to apply for a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-2). More information about the visa policy and documentation needed can be found here.